When you look into your closet and see a disorganized mess, it's tempting to just shut the door and walk away. Just think of how nice would it be to open that door and see a smartly arranged closet with organized clothing items, shoes and accessories. You decide you want a certain accessory, and now you know exactly where it is.
This might sound like a dream, but with some effort, it can be your reality. With custom closet storage, everything you keep in your closet can have its own space, and you can know exactly where to find it. One of your first steps to closet organization is to go through everything and decide exactly what to keep, and what to get rid of. It turns out to be similar to a computer's memory. Things are stored according to what you'll most likely need instant access to, and which things can be stored for later.
Deciding What to Keep: There are several questions you can ask yourself when you're deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. First, ask yourself if you've worn or used the item recently, at least in the past year. Try to remember when you bought the item, and how long you've had it. You also need to honestly assess whether you'll use the item in the future.
This assessment can be challenging, but once you get going, it becomes easier. One other thing you need to decide is whether the item is a duplicated item. If it is, try to narrow it down to just one or two of a similar item. Make piles of items including a "keep" pile, a "donate" pile and a throw away pile.
After You Narrow Things Down: Once you've narrowed down items you have to keep, a good custom closet storage system is exactly what you need. When compared to a computer, this is your cache. This is also the fun part. Put your items into your custom created closet exactly the way you want them. Helpful storage features to have in your new closet include:
- Slanted racks - Hold shoes and keep them in view, and keep them off the floor
- High and low hanging racks - Low racks for skirts, shorts, tops and shorter items. High racks for dresses and slacks, if they're not folded, and other longer items
- Drawers - These come in handy for underwear, socks and other items traditionally kept in drawers.
- Tie and belt racks - They help you to beautifully organize ties, belts and scarves so you know exactly where your favorite accessories are. They're a real time saver when you're getting dressed
- A valet rack - Many people find this incredibly helpful so your next day outfit is laid out for you, wrinkle-free and ready to wear
Once You Are Organized: Custom closet storage can be the perfect solution for your closet dilemma. Once everything is well organized, you'll feel a peaceful sense of satisfaction every time you open your closets.